Search This Blog

Tuesday 24 April 2012

Whipsnade Zoo - Sunday 22nd April

Sunday morning / afternoon we headed to Whipsnade Zoo 

On the bird front, I was suprised to see a RUDDY DUCK in the bird enclosure. I never know whether these waterfowl are clipped or just stay there by choice. Some of the other geese etc clearly have been clipped or they would get the hell out of there. I sent an email to LGRE just so he is aware that one is here.
I managed some nice pics of the ruddy duck with the camcorder camera 
Another type of duck was also present on the water - with a red stripe down the side of the head and white alos on the head with a brownish feathering on the back. I did get a picture or two. Only for interest, as they dont count if they are tied down! I will try and work out the species though - I think I saw one on a blog recently that was an escapee.

During the pleasant visit to the zoo I got some nice close up pictures of ROOK, CARRION CROW and JACKDAW that I will be putting on smugmug and possibly using as the main pictures on my bird list as I got very close. 

On the train going around the zoo I saw a PIED WAGTAIL.

HERRING GULL were active by the penguins - diving in and getting the fish after feeding time. My beloved wife Anna got a little present from one of the gulls - fortunately it missed her head. Well - its good luck isnt it!!!
Also in the penguin pond were a couple of EIDER DUCKS - slightly random I thought and again must be tied down. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment