Search This Blog

Tuesday 24 April 2012

Sunday morning at Marsworth / Startops

Sunday morning the weather looked fine and I had a couple of hours spare so I headed over to Marsworth / Startops 
I parked at the pavement end, and encountered a calling REED WARBLER in the reeds just to the right, and got some nice video footage and shots of the pair of LITTLE RINGED PLOVERS from the Startops Hide, which I believe are breeding - certainly the signs on display around say that.
Also the REDSHANK was still showing. 
I headed to Lock 41 area, where a couple of birders / photographers were present, looking for the Gropper as it was still around. 
Quite good calling was heared, but very little showing. 
While I was there, the GRASSHOPPER WARBLER did show once and a chap got some pictures (not a birder) 
Jim arrived with his big canon lens and he had a text from his wife that juvenile crossbills were at Wendover woods - there was a 5AM meet over there - I couldnt get up that early this weekend.....
A SEDGE WARBLER was calling and showing quite well, and close to Lock 40 a REED WARBLER was showing well and calling as well as a CHIFF CHAFF.I havent got the difference in calls yet in regards to the reed and sedge. Generally the Sedge is more frenetic then the reed. I will have to listen to this some more to try to get the distinction between the two.
No shots from me on this - I had camcorder and scope rather than the Nikon.
Bumped into Lucy on the way back and she was heading to the gropper - and got some nice pics after a couple of hours wait.  

On the way back I saw a female REED BUNTING in the 'kingfisher reeds' and then saw and heard a couple of BLACKCAPS on the footpath heading back to the road - first real clear call I have heard , and its like  wren but stronger followed by a nice tune. I tried to get them on film but they were too jumpy.
I did capture a pair of LONG TAILED TITS high up in the trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment